Matt Elliot The Mess We Made
- Words: David Hemingway
- Label: Domino
Revealing a fondness for drifting in and out of sleep that he shares with My Bloody Valentine's Kevin Shields, Matt Elliott claims that most of his ideas are derived from hypnogogic or hypnopompic conditions-respectively, the partially conscious states of drowsiness experienced before sleeping or awakening. From this somnolence, Elliott crafts the most beautiful but unnerving recordings. For the most part eschewing the clattering breakbeats of his previous Third Eye Foundation project in favor of mournful and warped chamber music, Elliott frequently deploys his own eerily stretched and indistinct vocals. This decision to foreground his own voice-self may explain why Elliott has chosen to release music under his own name rather than exhume his former alter-ego.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player