Matthew Dear Asa Breed
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Ghostly International
In his laid-back Texan (via Detroit) way, Matthew Dear seems hell-bent on becoming a pop star. Already a fixture on magazine covers-including XLR8R's-the recent NY transplant continues to refine his singer-songwriter skills on Asa Breed-which portends another flurry of photo shoots and interviews. While many electronic artists incorporating vocals and song-based tropes come off as saccharine or excessively introverted, Dear strikes a satisfying balance between catchiness and adventurousness. Singing in desultory, Smog-like tones about love's perplexing complications, he changes up the rhythms and textural embellishments, avoiding ruts with charm and grace. The subliminal, hypnotic pulse that ran through Dear's breakout track "Dog Days" recurs in varying degrees here, too, enlivening songs that already have plenty of tang.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player