Matthew Herbert Herbert100 lbs
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: !K7
Matthew Herbert can get away with producing silk-pajama'd house for any Macy's dressing room and critiquing capitalism by crushing Coke cans and Big Mac wrappers. A decade ago, he began shaving away the fat from house while keeping its groove essentials intact-making music that lazy critics like me call "microhouse." 100 lbs collects his three EPs of such sounds. "I'll Do It" drops vocal fragments like specks of rain hitting a windshield, and "Pen" brilliantly struts to a bulbous cadence. This album is more pleasurable than hearing Herbert drive a tank over a dinner plate to protest Bush and Blair.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
XLR8R Downloads Player