Matthew Herbert Plat du Jour
- Words: Peter Nicholson
- Label: Accidental
Matthew Herbert is an artist with an axe to grind-here he takes on the food industry. A sample from the liner notes for "Celebrity": "This track is made entirely from food endorsed by celebrities or tied in with a marketing strategy." In the case of that song-driven by the lilting, mischievous vocals of Herbert‘s partner Dani Siciliano and a percolating pan-pipe melody-the rhetoric also rocks. But elsewhere the ideas and processes behind the music threaten to overwhelm the actual sounds. Plat du Jour is not easy to swallow, but that is precisely what makes it great. It would be easy to call the uneasy layer of politics that lurks behind the music the, ahem, icing on the cake. In reality, it‘s Herbert‘s willingness to ask questions, wave flags and actively choose how to live his life (and make music) that is the cake itself.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player