Maus Haus Lark Marvels
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Label: Pretty Blue Presents
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Although the number of ’60s throwback bands has undoubtedly reached the thousands, few outfits pay homage to early electronic pioneers like Silver Apples and The United States of America. Enter Maus Haus, a San Francisco sextet whose offbeat brand of mod-pop eschews guitars in favor of whirring vintage synths and oddball orchestral flourishes. Birthed during a series of impromptu jam sessions, a few songs on Lark Marvels veer toward unfocused wonk, but overall, the band’s sound is refreshingly loose and unpolished. “We Used Technology (But Technology Let Us Down)” recalls the deadpan mope of Grandaddy, while the album standouts “Rigid Breakfast” and “Reaction” feature psychedelic freakouts worth remembering.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player