Maximo Park Our Earthly Pleasures
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Warp
Of the angular, poppy, post-punk bands spawned from England's Northwest lately, Maximo Park always seemed the likely lads to make it; the band is fluidly able to combine interesting rhythms and sounds with instantly accessible pop hooks. But on A Certain Trigger, Maximo seemed to be holding out on us. Obviously they were: "Our Velocity," Our Earthly Pleasures' first single, is like a speeding, Northern Nirvana-slick production and poppy synths belying fresh, furious rawness. There are other great moments-like the shift from angles to anthem on "A Fortnight's Time." Even Pleasures' lower points are flecked with specks of greatness.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player