MC Paul Barman Paullelujah!
- Words: Margaret Murray
- Label: Coup d'Etat
Now that Eminem's PR epic has cast him in the role of cuddly lunch-truck defender of gays and women, it's time we nominate another smart-ass white boy to serve as the nation's aural id. My vote-MC Paul Barman. Sure, rapping about agitprop and Liz Hurley isn't nearly as titillating as trailer parks and baby-mama drama, but if we're going to see (mark my words) white rappers popping up like Wal-Marts in factory towns, we may as well treat ourselves to the absolute best. Nothing's safe from Barman's stealthy wordplay (activists' dress codes, contemporary teaching methods, NAFTA, celebrity sex, the vagina). Rife with indie-cred (a Matador 12", a cameo on the Deltron 3030 album, a tour with Blackalicious and production assists by Prince Paul), Barman is poised as the bratty savior of a new era. Paullelujah!
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsThe Knife Splits, Announces Final Tour Dates
- NewsWarp Confirms Details of Upcoming Aphex Twin LP, Reveals Release Date
- NewsHear the Lead Track from Midland's Upcoming EP for Aus
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player