Menahan Street Band Make the Road by Walking
- Words: Eric K. Arnold
- Label: Dunham
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
With Make the Road by Walking, Daptone’s extended family chalks up yet another impressive retro-coated long-player–where do they find the time for all these side-projects? As with previous releases by the collective, the fidelity is high. Most of the all-instrumental tracks waver between Motownish and Stax/Volt-esque flavor; the mood is very “Soulsville”-era Isaac Hayes-meets-The Funk Brothers. Crisp, tight ensemble playing defines tracks like “Tired of Fighting” and “The Contender.” It’s enough to make you pull out the hip-huggers and do the watusi. If you’re a groovy guy or gal, or a fan of all things Dap, this is a must-have.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player