Merzbow Minazo Volume One
- Words: Fred Miketa
- Label: Important
Japanoise killer Merzbow returns with four more powerful compositions in the name of animal appreciation and liberation. Comprised of captured field recordings from Minazo, a male elephant seal held in captivity in Tokyo until his untimely death in 2005, Masami Akita (a.k.a. Merzbow) colors an urgent sonic palate of subterranean bass, feedback, and distorted samples of the late Minazo that easily seep deeply into the psyche. Unlike some of Merzbow's sporadically screeching avant-noise, Minazo manages to keep an ongoing tide of rhythm flowing, accenting his bass grumbles and fuzz from all angles.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player