Metaform Standing on the Shoulders of Giants
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: Just
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Monotony is not something instrumentalist Metaform ever falls into on his latest LP. Sure Standing on the Shoulders of Giants isn’t flawless (see the messy “The Secret”). But with the way that Metaform blends live instrumentation with samples and captures so many moods with his music, each track here provides a new experience. Sometimes he even switches up his style within individual selections, like on the transforming “PCH,” in which he begins with a dusty downtempo groove and then kicks up the speed from some lively D&B output. On the less complex end, Metaform performs just as well when using nothing but strong drum programming and sample-chopping (“Urban Velvet”). All in all, this guy’s got promise.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player