Meteorites Dub The Mighty Dragon
- Words: Jon Weldon
- Label: NoFuture
On paper, the Meteorites sound awesome-dancehall-flecked British pop influenced by the Neptunes-but the reality is quite another story. They're more like an '80s-new wave reaction to the aforementioned names. Their debut's crisp, synthesized production lacks both dancehall's punch and the Neptunes's sharpness, while the vocals strain for quirky, offbeat pop hooks ? la Pharrell's NERD stuff, but don't really swing or yearn. They do pull off some offbeat, catchy lyrics on the playful "Milkman" and the vampiric "Dracula." Indeed the beats are headscratchingly uncategorizable-not hip-hop, not dancehall, not dub, just pop funk.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Rubadub
XLR8R Downloads Player