Meteorites Dub The Mighty Dragon
- Words: Jon Weldon
- Label: NoFuture
On paper, the Meteorites sound awesome-dancehall-flecked British pop influenced by the Neptunes-but the reality is quite another story. They're more like an '80s-new wave reaction to the aforementioned names. Their debut's crisp, synthesized production lacks both dancehall's punch and the Neptunes's sharpness, while the vocals strain for quirky, offbeat pop hooks ? la Pharrell's NERD stuff, but don't really swing or yearn. They do pull off some offbeat, catchy lyrics on the playful "Milkman" and the vampiric "Dracula." Indeed the beats are headscratchingly uncategorizable-not hip-hop, not dancehall, not dub, just pop funk.
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- NewsMaya Jane Coles to Helm Next Fabric Mix Album
XLR8R Downloads Player