Meteorites Dub The Mighty Dragon
- Words: Jon Weldon
- Label: NoFuture
On paper, the Meteorites sound awesome-dancehall-flecked British pop influenced by the Neptunes-but the reality is quite another story. They're more like an '80s-new wave reaction to the aforementioned names. Their debut's crisp, synthesized production lacks both dancehall's punch and the Neptunes's sharpness, while the vocals strain for quirky, offbeat pop hooks ? la Pharrell's NERD stuff, but don't really swing or yearn. They do pull off some offbeat, catchy lyrics on the playful "Milkman" and the vampiric "Dracula." Indeed the beats are headscratchingly uncategorizable-not hip-hop, not dancehall, not dub, just pop funk.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player