Mexican Institute of Sound Mejico Maxico
- Words: Matt Earp
- Label: Nacional
From the heart of Mexico City comes a touching, sweet audio-collage of a release from Camilo Lara (a.k.a. MIS). Presented almost in sketch form-many of the tunes are under two minutes-the album fuses bits of cumbia and mambo with simple drum programming, dub effects, and keyboards reminiscent of early Luke Vibert or David Holmes (if he'd ended up in Mexico City instead of New York). While not terribly groundbreaking, the album's charm grows with repeated listening and it's a testament to the depth of Mexico's music scene that Nacional's electronic roster reaches well beyond Nortec.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player