MF Doom Mm..Food
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: Rhymesayers
After years of relative obscurity, Daniel Dumile is finally getting his due credit as one of hip-hop's greatest lyricists, thanks to his 2004 hook-up with producer Madlib, Madvillainy. But the fact is Madvillain is the least interesting of the various personas Dumile's morphed into since re-inventing himself as MF Doom, and his own beats are more interesting than those of the over-hyped Madlib. Beginning with a sample from Wild Style, Mm..Food plays like a 2004 re-envisioning of Doom's debut, Operation: Doomsday, with a food fetish. Divided into appetizers" ("Hoe Cakes"), instrumental-only "special recipes" ("Poo-Putt Platter," "Fig Leaf Bi-Carbonate") and "entrees" ("Rapp Snitch Knishes"), the first nine tracks play like a warm-up for the last six. Fueled by meandering, surrealist lyricism, cut-and-paste beats, a hearty helping of dialogue samples and, apparently, food, Mm.. is Doom at the top of his game.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player