MF Doom Mm..Food
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: Rhymesayers
After years of relative obscurity, Daniel Dumile is finally getting his due credit as one of hip-hop's greatest lyricists, thanks to his 2004 hook-up with producer Madlib, Madvillainy. But the fact is Madvillain is the least interesting of the various personas Dumile's morphed into since re-inventing himself as MF Doom, and his own beats are more interesting than those of the over-hyped Madlib. Beginning with a sample from Wild Style, Mm..Food plays like a 2004 re-envisioning of Doom's debut, Operation: Doomsday, with a food fetish. Divided into appetizers" ("Hoe Cakes"), instrumental-only "special recipes" ("Poo-Putt Platter," "Fig Leaf Bi-Carbonate") and "entrees" ("Rapp Snitch Knishes"), the first nine tracks play like a warm-up for the last six. Fueled by meandering, surrealist lyricism, cut-and-paste beats, a hearty helping of dialogue samples and, apparently, food, Mm.. is Doom at the top of his game.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player