MF Grimm The Hunt for the Gingerbread Man
- Words: Rico "Superbizzee" Washington
- Label: Class A
- XLR8R Rating: 5/10
As a former financier and partner-in-rhyme to MF Doom, and founder of Day by Day Entertainment (Mudville, Count Bass D), Grimm knows his latest solo effort comes with some pretty high expectations. So a concept album that features the MC spitting murderous tales from the perspective of a gun-toting, real-life gingerbread man seems more laughable than laudable. Rife with confectionary references (“Half Baked”) and nursery-rhyme interpretations (“The Fox,” “My House”) over tepid beats, the album plays like a stale batch of underground demos from the mid-’90s. Although Grimm attempts to create a sinister, ominous caricature parallel to that of Doom’s, with admittedly clever wordplay, this cookie unfortunately crumbles harder than Master P’s failed “Cookie Money” comeback.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player