MF Grimm The Hunt for the Gingerbread Man
- Words: Rico "Superbizzee" Washington
- Label: Class A
- XLR8R Rating: 5/10
As a former financier and partner-in-rhyme to MF Doom, and founder of Day by Day Entertainment (Mudville, Count Bass D), Grimm knows his latest solo effort comes with some pretty high expectations. So a concept album that features the MC spitting murderous tales from the perspective of a gun-toting, real-life gingerbread man seems more laughable than laudable. Rife with confectionary references (“Half Baked”) and nursery-rhyme interpretations (“The Fox,” “My House”) over tepid beats, the album plays like a stale batch of underground demos from the mid-’90s. Although Grimm attempts to create a sinister, ominous caricature parallel to that of Doom’s, with admittedly clever wordplay, this cookie unfortunately crumbles harder than Master P’s failed “Cookie Money” comeback.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- ReviewFantastic Mr Fox "You Turn"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Caribou, Todd Terje, Gerd Janson, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player