Mia Doi Todd Manzanita
- Words: Nick Follett
- Label: Plug Research
Mia Doi Todd has never been the type of artist people "kind of" like. With her operatic voice and uncomfortably intimate songwriting, one either finds her singularly under-appreciated or dismisses her as an over-hyped LA hipster. Manzanita will do little to dissuade either. Backing by fellow scenesters, including members of Beachwood Sparks, The Tyde, and Brian Jonestown Massacre, lends an AM pop and countrified folk tinge (à la Sandy Denny or Colin Blunstone) replete with strings and horns. Despite all these special guests, Ms. Todd is at her best when accompanied only by her own guitar.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player