Michael Mayer Touch
- Words: Alexander Posell
- Label: Kompakt
Those familiar with the Kompakt "sound" will find Michael Mayer‘s debut LP a pleasant (if not terribly original) listen. Touch combines elements of techno, house, electro, and–dare I say it–progressive into a user-friendly, non-threatening mélange. Deep-house single "Privat" and the Lil‘ Louis-echoing "Neue Luthersche Fraktur" are both solid tracks, but the standouts come later, Though awkwardly named, "Funky Haddicap" is far from it–heroin strings and warbly Em-u-sampled basslines meet pre-pubescent vocals over a lush, chugging rhythm. "Amabile" is one of those triplet-beat tracks that have been appearing lately–pulsating, hypnotic, and unabashedly digital, it is by far the best moment on this album. Given a chance, this LP may Touch you after all.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player