Mickey and the Soul Generation Iron Leg: The Complete Mickey and the Soul Generation
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Cali-Tex-Quannum
When a beat junkie like DJ Shadow goes to extraordinary lengths to reissue your long-forgotten songs and pen eight pages of liner notes to boot, you must've done something right(eous). And so Mickey And The Soul Generation have done, as the 19 tracks on CD1 prove Quannum's included a six-track bonus disc of live recordings. From 1969-1977, this San Antonio sextet served up sizzling funk nuggets that will make fans of the Meters, James Brown, Bar-Kays, etc. say "Damn!" With soul-blaring tenor saxes, wah-wah guitars, rippling organ washes and a tight-as-fuck rhythm section, Iron Leg should inspire hip-hop producers to get their samplers humming.
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- MP3Clap! Clap! "Ashiko (Lurka Obeah Remix)"
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
XLR8R Downloads Player