Mika Vainio In the Land of the Blind the One-Eyed is King
- Words: Susanna Bolle
- Label: Touch
With this, his fourth solo album, Mika Vainio journeys through rather different musical terrain than in the past. Best known as one half of Pan Sonic, Vainio's signature sound is that of his custom-made analogue synthesizers, with their incisive treble tones and penetrating sub-bass. Vainio opts for a less hermetic approach here, working in a more collagist manner using field recordings, the sound of crackling vinyl, and other non-synthetic sounds in addition to his trademark synths. As a result, this record lends itself less to the Arctic metaphors that are the lifeblood of any review of Vainio's work. Thankfully, it retains the sense of foreboding, while adding a rich new vocabulary of sonic textures.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player