Mike Shannon Slight of Hand
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Force Inc.
While most heads have been looking to Germany, England or America's West Coast for tech-house Holy Grails the last few years, Canada quietly bloomed into a superpower in its own right. Force Inc. documented one Canuck city's distinctive interpretation of the genre in 2002 with the outstanding Montreal Smoked Meat comp, on which the now Toronto-based Mike Shannon appeared. As a veteran DJ, Shannon knows what moves asses on dance floors, but he's also attuned to the importance of variety, adorning each of his debut album's 11 untitled tracks with a different palette of twitchy rhythmic tics, trippy reverb and peculiar percussive accessorizing. Slight Of Hand abounds with the sort of obliquely odd and hypnotic tech-house that knowledgeable jocks will drop when they want to take dancers deeper into the mind-fuck zone.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player