Mikkel Meyer Bacon
Don't confuse Danish electronic experimentalist Mikkel Meyer with German techno producer Michael Mayer. Whereas Kompakt artist Mayer makes taught and cohesive digital music, Denmark's Meyer takes a scattershod approach to avant-bass tracks. On Bacon, spacious dubstep numbers like "Kotelet" seem on the verge of collapse, crackling with static, brittle rimshots, and unstable sub-bass notes. MCs Non from Shadowhuntaz and Tanzanians Lufu and Chidi Benz add random vocals to a few tunes, but instrumental works such as "Ostetaerte" are far more mysterious and potent. The highlight is also the finale: "Jordbærkage" veers smoothly into 2562's dubtech territory. If you fancy a varied approach to electronics with an artful twist, then grab a slab of Bacon.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player