Minotaur Shock Maritime
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: 4AD
Four Tet and Caribou (née Manitoba) may have forsaken acoustica to make engaging odes to freakbeat percussion, but Bristol‘s David "Minotaur Shock" Edwards still wields a jaunty calliope of a laptop as a lasting cornerstone of the folktronica movement. Indeed, fans of whimsical, warbling melodies will find Maritime is plenty shipshape. Beats peck, shuffle, and skip; synths roll, shimmer, and flutter. Is that timpani? A vibraphone? Clarinet? A seagull‘s caw? Certain tracks, with their soft focus instrumentation, even seem to have a Trevor Horn touch to them, balanced out by some Moroder oscillations-and all of it set adrift on memory bliss.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player