Mira Calix Skimskitta
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Warp
Skimskitta is an elusive, ambitious work that's ultimately disappointing. The follow-up to 2000's more focused and accessible OneOnOne, Skimskitta possesses too many brief tracks that come off merely as quasi-interesting filler or failed experiments. Throughout Skimskitta, Mira Calix (Chantal Passamonte) uses her voice as a gossamer tarp under which she layers drones and dirges of varying hues and timbres, and she occasionally brings in some percussive bedlam to shake up the sonic stupor. While Passamonte's keen ear for odd tones and peculiar arrangements pique interest, she fails to construct anything very memorable from her mad grab bag of sonic tricks.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player