Miwon A to B
- Words: Dominic Umile
- Label: City Centre Offices
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Driven by quivering, crisp beats, Miwon's A to B is a bright record that finds the German producer matching his affinity for techno with ornamental, casually evolving melodic pop. The interplay of programmed taps and birdsong at the forefront of A to B speaks well to his angle: This is chipper fare, with artful crescendos bursting reliably after a surplus of layered build-ups. Both "Matchbox" and "Round and Round" play host to a great deal of rustling background clatter at the onset, before overtly glassy tones à la Kaito or Ulrich Schnauss filter in overtop. Miwon exhibits a too-rare acumen with atmospheric nuances, but he tempers it mindfully, steering clear of the trance pop that lingers around the bend.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Caribou, Todd Terje, Gerd Janson, and More
- ReviewFantastic Mr Fox "You Turn"
- NewsStream "Dem Howl," Audion's Upcoming Single for Kompakt
XLR8R Downloads Player