Mocean Worker Enter the Mowo!
- Words: Peter Nicholson
- Label: MoWo!
A lazy listen to Mocean Worker's fourth album might dismiss it as leftover acid-jazz instrumental loops over beats. There's actually much more going on here. Blues structures, guest appearances from David "Fathead" Newman and Bill Frisell, dueling flutes courtesy of Rashaan Roland Kirk, and live playing by Franck Gauthier of Rhino°eros make it clear that MoWo didn't just dash this one off. Though there are some decidedly tepid inclusions-the monotonous "Fatback" and the melodramatic "I'll Take the Woods," to name a few-Enter the MoWo! is a deftly textured take on a sound sullied by the efforts of distracted amateurs.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player