- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Daly City
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
David Wang covered his eyes and pulled the trigger on his 2003 mash-up mix, Combat, where he caught Aphex Twin in bed with The Thompson Twins. In this collaboration with nearly 30 MCs, he has matured into a facile hip-hop producer. His breakcore roots still shine, and he fits every noise into the lyrical flow. On “Girls and Boys and Toys,” Wang watches Sasha Perera from Jahcoozi’s voice digitally flop around before throwing it back into the water to finish her verses. But for the most part he’s too respectful to interfere with the sharp rhymes of Khem, Sindri, and various Hieroglyphics fellas. Here’s hoping that he’ll help move the Bay Area hip-hop underground to rougher wilderness.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player