- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Daly City
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
David Wang covered his eyes and pulled the trigger on his 2003 mash-up mix, Combat, where he caught Aphex Twin in bed with The Thompson Twins. In this collaboration with nearly 30 MCs, he has matured into a facile hip-hop producer. His breakcore roots still shine, and he fits every noise into the lyrical flow. On “Girls and Boys and Toys,” Wang watches Sasha Perera from Jahcoozi’s voice digitally flop around before throwing it back into the water to finish her verses. But for the most part he’s too respectful to interfere with the sharp rhymes of Khem, Sindri, and various Hieroglyphics fellas. Here’s hoping that he’ll help move the Bay Area hip-hop underground to rougher wilderness.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player