Mocky Are + Be
- Words: Liz Cordingley
- Label: Fine
Are + Be has an ‘80s slow-jam vibe crashing straight into the kiddie rave and stumbling out the back door onto a grimy London alley. Or maybe it‘s an alley in Berlin, as that‘s where this ex-Canadian kicks it with old friends Peaches and Gonzales. Following his debut In Mesopotamia (equally abnormal, groovier flow), Mocky takes the piss out of commercial R&B. But he also hits a nerve with cheeky dichotomies of sweet soul and distorted pop, funk rhythms and fucked-up beats, swift rhymes and lumbering raps. Gravy it ain‘t, but the saucy blend is worth dippin‘ your bread in.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player