Mocky Are + Be
- Words: Liz Cordingley
- Label: Fine
Are + Be has an ‘80s slow-jam vibe crashing straight into the kiddie rave and stumbling out the back door onto a grimy London alley. Or maybe it‘s an alley in Berlin, as that‘s where this ex-Canadian kicks it with old friends Peaches and Gonzales. Following his debut In Mesopotamia (equally abnormal, groovier flow), Mocky takes the piss out of commercial R&B. But he also hits a nerve with cheeky dichotomies of sweet soul and distorted pop, funk rhythms and fucked-up beats, swift rhymes and lumbering raps. Gravy it ain‘t, but the saucy blend is worth dippin‘ your bread in.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player