The Mountain Goats Heretic Pride
- Words: Michael Byrne
- Label: 4AD
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Something of a Mountain Goats omnibus, the rarely subdued Heretic Pride ditches the prolific, hyper-literate folk-rock band’s thematic course of late, delivering songs that, while still uniformly downers in that “we’ll get through this together,” John Darnielle way, jump from WWII bombing raids to paranoia to the cold, dead places he mined so heavily on last year’s Get Lonely. “Autoclave” is your worst break-up flashback, with its relentless, hopeless line, “No emotion worth having/Can call my heart my heart its home,” while “How to Embrace a Swamp Creature” is a biting ode to break-up sex. Thankfully, it’s all prefaced with the fantastic “Sax Rohmer #1” and its “I am coming home to you/If it’s the last thing I do” revelation that Darnielle still cares.
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player