Mouse on Mars Live 04
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Sonig
Typical electronic concert albums are either lazy, carbon copies of studio-made tracks or improvised messes for the brave to sit through. Post-techno stars Mouse on Mars have achieved a happy balance between the two extremes on Live 04. As their Deleuze-drugged jabber about rhizomes and "bodies without organs" hints, they couldn‘t release a mere concert tape-instead, they meshed together bits of their top performances from hundreds of hours of recordings. The results-created with guitar, bass, keys and a trapkit-are striking as they give their oldies wider breathing spaces and greater spontaneity. "Diskdusk" and "Wipe That Sound" are funkier and more unhinged, while "All The Old Powers" melts out of the stereo. Despite risks of Basement Jaxx-like big-beat schmaltz, MoM is still full of too many good ideas after more than a decade of existence.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player