Mr. Dibbs The 30th Song
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Rhymesayers
Mr. Dibbs's The 30th Song was originally supposed to be released by 4 Ways to Rock in 2000, but that never materialized. And it's a damn shame. If this record fell into the hip-hop consciousness during turntablism's peak years, the "Dick-nosed Platypus" would be the one that crate-digging symphonists would have to measure up to. On this expanded reissue, Dibbs's earthy beats are deftly heightened by swamp-rat guitar riffs, smeared violas, strutting basslines and the odd children's record or two. He gives a sharp relief from the bourgeois-hop of the bling-bling motorcades that currently parade the airwaves. The centerpiece is the 15-minute epic, "Porntablist," where Dibbs's mates sample orgasms with one-handed scratching over and over and over and over.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsMachinedrum Readies New Album for Ninja Tune
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player