Murs The End of the Beginning
- Words: Philip Sherburne
- Label: Definitive Jux
Definitive Jux gets almost rootsy on the debut solo joint from Murs of the Living Legends crew. The LA rap veteran keeps it traditional without resorting to old-school clichés: the production here (from El-P, Shock G, Atmosphere's Ant and others) bubbles with overheated horns, virgin drum breaks and vintage funk so raw you'd swear it was an RJD2 record. The real pleasure, though, is Murs' lyricism, which combines an unhurried, conversational flow with a confidence so solid he needn't resort to boasting. A documentarist with no taste for glamour or gore, he represents realism with the restraint of a trained reporter. "Tales like Last Night" ("Last night I almost got shot on my block") mourn the state of the black urban experience without indulging in sensationalism, over melancholic beats that suggest that as long as the crates are deep and the pencils sharpened, there's redemption to be found in every groove.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player