Mutamassik Masri Mokassar: Definitive Works
- Words: Ben Bush
- Label: Sound Ink
Mutamassik beat juggles hip-hop rhythms, pounding heavy metal drum riffs and hand percussion. In the context of arty techno, sampled Middle Eastern strings often come across as melodramatic and new-agey, but Mutamassik‘s aggressive, loosely arranged compositions are largely able to avoid hippie raver pratfalls. On the standout track "War Booty," the melody is peeled away to reveal a rhythm formed of grunts and subconsciously small snippets of funk keyboard. The album seems imbued with the horrors of war, most noticeably in its machine gun snares and rhythms built from the whoop-whooping of helicopter blades.
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- MP3Clap! Clap! "Ashiko (Lurka Obeah Remix)"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
XLR8R Downloads Player