My My Songs for the Gentle
- Words: David Hemingway
- Label: Playhouse
Songs for the Gentle is really, really nice but not in quite the way the prescriptive title and willfully bucolic sleeve (with its fields, trees, and grazing horses) might imply. A collaboration between a member of Hefner (Lee Jones), a DJ (Carsten Klemann), and a former editor at Groove magazine (Nick Hoppner), the Anglo-Germanic, Berlin-based collective creates music somewhere between the arid atmospherica of Lawrence and the twitchy 'n' bouncy playfulness of Pantytec. It's the trio's skills in juxtaposing such contradictory poles so effectively (less finding a middle ground than giving the former a club-friendly booster shot) that makes their debut long-player-like the "Klatta," "Serpentine," and "Swiss on Rye" singles that preceded it-so utterly lovable. Ausgezeichnet!
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player