My Robot Friend Dial 0
- Words: Anna Balkrishna
- Label: Soma
My Robot Friend positions himself somewhere between the deadpan synthesizer jokiness of Devo and the droll sexual politics of Soft Pink Truth (with a pinch of Hot Chip's falsetto Casio-pop) for his sophomore album. Dial 0 delves, with self-aware merriment, into the horny desires of Howard Rigberg's circuit-based alter ego-"Swallow" is a goofy, boy-on-girl-on-machine electro-orgy while "The Good Part" casts Mr. Robot as a sexually frustrated sadbot crooning behind curtains of dark pop melody. Like the neon-rigged automaton suit he dons for live performances, My Robot Friend's music smacks of gimmickry-luckily, it‘s a smart, mostly listenable trick.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsAvalon Emerson Gives Away Remix and Edits Collection
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player