My Robot Friend Dial 0
- Words: Anna Balkrishna
- Label: Soma
My Robot Friend positions himself somewhere between the deadpan synthesizer jokiness of Devo and the droll sexual politics of Soft Pink Truth (with a pinch of Hot Chip's falsetto Casio-pop) for his sophomore album. Dial 0 delves, with self-aware merriment, into the horny desires of Howard Rigberg's circuit-based alter ego-"Swallow" is a goofy, boy-on-girl-on-machine electro-orgy while "The Good Part" casts Mr. Robot as a sexually frustrated sadbot crooning behind curtains of dark pop melody. Like the neon-rigged automaton suit he dons for live performances, My Robot Friend's music smacks of gimmickry-luckily, it‘s a smart, mostly listenable trick.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player