- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Thrill Jockey
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Music created for short avant-garde movies rarely has much broad appeal, and Film, by Austrian synthesist/guitarist Stefan Németh, isn't going to change this situation. However, within the rarefied realm of experimental soundtracks, this Radian/Lokai member has made a significant contribution with the six tracks collected here. If you're familiar with Radian's arid, deconstructed post-rocktronica (imagine if Tortoise recorded for Mego), then Film won't surprise you at all. Introverted, oblique, and minimalist, Németh's compositions favor slate-grey guitar feedback, methodical tom-tom tattoos (the disc's best track, "Transitions," features a rhythm that recalls that of Can's "Mushroomhead"), and subtle electronic whorls. Imbued with a vague tension and subtle portentousness, Film–as well executed as it is–will likely appeal mainly to other soundtrack composers.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsListen to Another Track from Flying Lotus' 'You're Dead!' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player