Naomi Shelton & The Gospel Queens What Have You Done, My Brother?
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: Daptone
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
With the support of the Daptone family, Alabama-raised New Yorker Naomi Shelton and her wise, stirring voice are finally being heard on a full-length release. On What Have You Done, My Brother?, Shelton conveys a genuine sense of everyday life and the struggles that surround it. The blatantly religious numbers won’t speak to everybody, but most of these warm gospel, soul, and blues tracks have an undeniable appeal. On “I’ll Take the Long Road,” a bluesy song about patience, the music seems especially timeless. This era-defiant resonance also comes courtesy of pianist/producer Cliff Driver, not to mention members of the Dap-Kings, who give What Have You Done, My Brother? just the right balance of crispness and lo-fidelity.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- NewsXosar Preps New EP for Valcrond Video
- NewsLivity Sound Preps Remix Compilation Featuring Surgeon, Pangaea, and More
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player