Naomi Shelton & The Gospel Queens What Have You Done, My Brother?
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: Daptone
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
With the support of the Daptone family, Alabama-raised New Yorker Naomi Shelton and her wise, stirring voice are finally being heard on a full-length release. On What Have You Done, My Brother?, Shelton conveys a genuine sense of everyday life and the struggles that surround it. The blatantly religious numbers won’t speak to everybody, but most of these warm gospel, soul, and blues tracks have an undeniable appeal. On “I’ll Take the Long Road,” a bluesy song about patience, the music seems especially timeless. This era-defiant resonance also comes courtesy of pianist/producer Cliff Driver, not to mention members of the Dap-Kings, who give What Have You Done, My Brother? just the right balance of crispness and lo-fidelity.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player