Neon Neon Stainless Style
- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: Lex
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Super Furry Animals aren't popular for digital funk, but they used to drop techno from their own soundsystem before they blew up Marshall stacks. And so the sequenced beats and bleats of Neon Neon, a side project of Furry honcho Gruff Rhys and L.A. producer Boom Bip, stream together seamlessly. Neon's synthetic thump is a throwback to the studio dance of The Cars and OMD as much as it is new-jack revisionism taking advantage of postmodern pals like Har Mar Superstar and Spank Rock, who show up to throw down dirty rhymes on "Trick or Treat." Gruff's plaintive vocals are perfect for horny odes like "Raquel"–a siren song for Raquel Welch–or the Princess Leia tribute "Told Her on Alderaan.” And it is fitting that the whole effort is a concept loosely based on coke-snorting car entrepreneur John DeLorean: Neon Neon has gone back to the future.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player