Neon Neon Stainless Style
- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: Lex
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Super Furry Animals aren't popular for digital funk, but they used to drop techno from their own soundsystem before they blew up Marshall stacks. And so the sequenced beats and bleats of Neon Neon, a side project of Furry honcho Gruff Rhys and L.A. producer Boom Bip, stream together seamlessly. Neon's synthetic thump is a throwback to the studio dance of The Cars and OMD as much as it is new-jack revisionism taking advantage of postmodern pals like Har Mar Superstar and Spank Rock, who show up to throw down dirty rhymes on "Trick or Treat." Gruff's plaintive vocals are perfect for horny odes like "Raquel"–a siren song for Raquel Welch–or the Princess Leia tribute "Told Her on Alderaan.” And it is fitting that the whole effort is a concept loosely based on coke-snorting car entrepreneur John DeLorean: Neon Neon has gone back to the future.
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsThe Great American Techno Festival Announces Dates and Initial Line-Up
- FeatureXLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with FaltyDL, Dekmantel, Randomer, and More
- NewsR&S Readies Debut Outing from Alma Construct, Streams Lead Track
- XLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
XLR8R Downloads Player