New Bloods The Secret Life
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Kill Rock Stars
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
The Secret Life is a promising rough draft. Within just 23 minutes, this Portland trio summons the ghosts of The Raincoats, The Slits, and various post-punk greats. So many elements click: contorted rhythms that stop and start on a dime, stark, minimalist basslines that never waste a note, and Osa Atoe’s violin melodies that shift between menace and comfort (best heard on “Doubles” and “The Cycle Song”). Unfortunately, the disc’s vocals lack the same passion. They range from strained punk rage to flat dirges that often shortchange the lyrics. Still, the New Bloods have the potential to be an ace party band for any dank basement beneath a punk squatter’s sleeping floor.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player