New Young Pony Club Fantastic Playroom
- Words: Ross Holland
- Label: Modular
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Almost three years have passed between the first 7" release of NYPC's anthemic "Ice Cream" and Fantastic Playroom, the UK quintet's debut full-length. Not much has changed. Eighties-infused indie-dance is still huge, and NYPC is still at the top of the heap with their catchy blend of new wave and synth-funk. Playroom's success lies in its adherence to a sound, both polished and loose-synths harmonize with choppy post-punk guitar riffs, and clean beats give way to grubby, syncopated basslines. All the while Tahita Bulmer's sensuous vocals keep each track bounding forward with the fervor of Delta 5 and the dynamic spark of The B-52's. Playroom is an energetic romp of an album from start to finish.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player