New Young Pony Club Fantastic Playroom
- Words: Ross Holland
- Label: Modular
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Almost three years have passed between the first 7" release of NYPC's anthemic "Ice Cream" and Fantastic Playroom, the UK quintet's debut full-length. Not much has changed. Eighties-infused indie-dance is still huge, and NYPC is still at the top of the heap with their catchy blend of new wave and synth-funk. Playroom's success lies in its adherence to a sound, both polished and loose-synths harmonize with choppy post-punk guitar riffs, and clean beats give way to grubby, syncopated basslines. All the while Tahita Bulmer's sensuous vocals keep each track bounding forward with the fervor of Delta 5 and the dynamic spark of The B-52's. Playroom is an energetic romp of an album from start to finish.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player