Nicola Ratti From the Desert Came Saltwater
- Words: Walter Wasacz
- Label: Anticipate
- XLR8R Rating: 9/10
New York's Anticipate Recordings keeps its hot streak going (Klimek's Dedications and Morgan Packard's Airships Fill the Sky were two of 2007's best long players) with another splendidly chill release, this one by Italian electro-acoustic producer Nicola Ratti. Virtually absent of beats and possessing only the deep hum of extended bass guitar chords on the low end, From the Desert Came Saltwater nonetheless contains no dead air in any of the six long tracks. Ratti stuffs his sound palette with sad-sweet guitar and piano, occasional muffled vocals, field recordings, and electronic effects to create a quiet storm filled to the brim with emotional strength and beauty. Gorgeous.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player