Nicola Ratti From the Desert Came Saltwater
- Words: Walter Wasacz
- Label: Anticipate
- XLR8R Rating: 9/10
New York's Anticipate Recordings keeps its hot streak going (Klimek's Dedications and Morgan Packard's Airships Fill the Sky were two of 2007's best long players) with another splendidly chill release, this one by Italian electro-acoustic producer Nicola Ratti. Virtually absent of beats and possessing only the deep hum of extended bass guitar chords on the low end, From the Desert Came Saltwater nonetheless contains no dead air in any of the six long tracks. Ratti stuffs his sound palette with sad-sweet guitar and piano, occasional muffled vocals, field recordings, and electronic effects to create a quiet storm filled to the brim with emotional strength and beauty. Gorgeous.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player