Nicolay & Kay Time:Line
- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Nicolay Music
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Netherlands-born, North Carolina-based producer Nicolay met Houston MC Kay (of The Foundation) the way everybody meets these days: over the internet (specifically, the okayplayer.com boards). Nicolay’s musical vision is a warm, wistful one, and his pillowy melodies cocoon Kay’s smooth, reflective style, creating an effect that’s stirring at times, mesmerizing at others. “As the Wheel Turns,” easily the tightest cut on the album, displays Nicolay’s ability to conjure a vibrant spell from simple, rich loops, echoing Kay’s observations of what it means to navigate life’s daily struggles. Check “I’ve Seen Rivers,” a Langston Hughes-referencing joint about the staying power of civilizations that feels like it could only come from a much more experienced rapper.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player