Night of the Brain Wear This World Out
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: Station 55
As half of Super_Collider alongside Jamie Lidell, Cristian Vogel captured ghosts in the machine. But Super_Collider's apex, 1999's electro-soul album Head On, feels infinitely more like the logical precursor to Lidell's croon-n-paste solo works than to the console strip-cauterized, art-damaged rock of this Vogel-centered quartet. Using exercises in skuzzy, serialist composition and an obvious affection for quixotic Lower East Side free-jazz, Vogel and associates draw on ectoplasmic post-hardcore rather than 'ardkore techno. The first half of the 10 tracks (with fleeting nods to Sonic Youth, Frank Black, and later Radiohead) have an increasingly diffused aura of hallucinogenic dynamics, while the second half delves more toward sequenced squalls. Overall, a persuasive series of dissociative, noirish silhouettes.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player