Nightmares on Wax Thought so...
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Warp
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
What exactly Nightmares on Wax–or George Evelyn, the project‘s main force–“thought” never gets brought up on this, the project‘s sixth album. But the downtempo cuts here, derived from reggae, jazz, ambient, and breakbeat, are all about not thinking, about letting yourself into a deep groove and staying there for a while. At that point, the problem isn‘t so much the production quality, which is consistently excellent, so much as the sleepy factor. Some tracks avoid that handily, like the funky “Moretime,” which oozes a playful sexiness. Thought So... is all too easy to treat as background music–not quite up to Evelyn’s typically high bar, but with enough beauty to show NOW isn‘t over yet.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player