Nightmares on Wax Thought so...
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Warp
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
What exactly Nightmares on Wax–or George Evelyn, the project‘s main force–“thought” never gets brought up on this, the project‘s sixth album. But the downtempo cuts here, derived from reggae, jazz, ambient, and breakbeat, are all about not thinking, about letting yourself into a deep groove and staying there for a while. At that point, the problem isn‘t so much the production quality, which is consistently excellent, so much as the sleepy factor. Some tracks avoid that handily, like the funky “Moretime,” which oozes a playful sexiness. Thought So... is all too easy to treat as background music–not quite up to Evelyn’s typically high bar, but with enough beauty to show NOW isn‘t over yet.
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- MP3Clap! Clap! "Ashiko (Lurka Obeah Remix)"
XLR8R Downloads Player