- Words: Chris Sabbath
- Label: Smalltown Supersound
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
The three mighty ladies of Nisennenmondai might have been the best-kept secret of Japanese noise-rock for the last 10 years, but this gem of a debut outside their native country will spark an avalanche of gossip soon enough. “This Heat” and “Sonic Youth” flirt with steady Krautrock tempos of scorched, worming bass and pinging Japanese drums while DNA guitars and a slew of processed, rubbery effects clang and echo throughout. It’s an unpredictable listen–a droning rhythm expires; a female voice squawks; a pulverizing round of fried amp fuzz and stop-start blast beats follow suit. Brutal and progressive in its execution, this album is one colossal giant of beautiful sound that needs to be absorbed and felt.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player