- Words: Chris Sabbath
- Label: Smalltown Supersound
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
The three mighty ladies of Nisennenmondai might have been the best-kept secret of Japanese noise-rock for the last 10 years, but this gem of a debut outside their native country will spark an avalanche of gossip soon enough. “This Heat” and “Sonic Youth” flirt with steady Krautrock tempos of scorched, worming bass and pinging Japanese drums while DNA guitars and a slew of processed, rubbery effects clang and echo throughout. It’s an unpredictable listen–a droning rhythm expires; a female voice squawks; a pulverizing round of fried amp fuzz and stop-start blast beats follow suit. Brutal and progressive in its execution, this album is one colossal giant of beautiful sound that needs to be absorbed and felt.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player