Nite Jewel Good Evening
- Words: Jennifer Marston
- Label: Humar Ear
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
When crafting the initial Nite Jewel tracks, Ramona Gonzalez put the beggars-can't-be-choosers concept to good use and employed a multi-track cassette recorder along with whatever instruments she could get her hands on. It follows then, that the resulting debut full-length from this two-woman outfit (which also includes multimedia artist Emily Jane) isn’t exactly easy to categorize. Lo-fi dance-pop might be the easiest label to slap on the release, but there’s a free-form element to the music on Good Evening that keeps this record compelling from start to finish. Shades of soul, R&B, and funk often peek through the layers of synthesizer, while Gonzalez and Jane maintain a cool, cheeky composure throughout.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player