Nite Jewel Good Evening
- Words: Jennifer Marston
- Label: Humar Ear
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
When crafting the initial Nite Jewel tracks, Ramona Gonzalez put the beggars-can't-be-choosers concept to good use and employed a multi-track cassette recorder along with whatever instruments she could get her hands on. It follows then, that the resulting debut full-length from this two-woman outfit (which also includes multimedia artist Emily Jane) isn’t exactly easy to categorize. Lo-fi dance-pop might be the easiest label to slap on the release, but there’s a free-form element to the music on Good Evening that keeps this record compelling from start to finish. Shades of soul, R&B, and funk often peek through the layers of synthesizer, while Gonzalez and Jane maintain a cool, cheeky composure throughout.
- GearThis Week in Music Tech: Mike Huckaby's Ableton Masterclass, In the Studio with Gregor Tresher and Ziro, and More
- NewsPaul Johnson, Jerome LOL, Untold, The Gaslamp Killer, and More Added to Together 2014
- MP3Alcides "Violeta (El Remolón Remix)"
- MP3Arp "White Light"
- MP3Copywrite "Forever and a Day"
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
- Hi-Five - DJ Q Reminisces About His Five Favorite UK Garage Bootlegs
XLR8R Downloads Player