Nite Jewel Good Evening
- Words: Jennifer Marston
- Label: Humar Ear
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
When crafting the initial Nite Jewel tracks, Ramona Gonzalez put the beggars-can't-be-choosers concept to good use and employed a multi-track cassette recorder along with whatever instruments she could get her hands on. It follows then, that the resulting debut full-length from this two-woman outfit (which also includes multimedia artist Emily Jane) isn’t exactly easy to categorize. Lo-fi dance-pop might be the easiest label to slap on the release, but there’s a free-form element to the music on Good Evening that keeps this record compelling from start to finish. Shades of soul, R&B, and funk often peek through the layers of synthesizer, while Gonzalez and Jane maintain a cool, cheeky composure throughout.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player