Northern State Can I Keep This Pen?
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Ipecac
Stereotypes quickly make the imagination dance on most people’s first listen to Northern State. These female rappers straight outta Dix Hills bare fangs like “I wish you well, what the fuck?!/I heard your mom drives an ice cream truck,” and try to seduce through lines like “I’ll organize your underpants/I’ll color-code it/I’ll make you a vegan pie and then I’ll à la mode it!” But that is NS’s charm–they are what they damn well please and have no pretensions to earn “street cred.” Many lyrics induce cringes, but the music’s robotic guitar riffs and Luscious Jackson-style roller-rink funk earn them some forgiveness.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
XLR8R Downloads Player