Northern State Can I Keep This Pen?
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Ipecac
Stereotypes quickly make the imagination dance on most people’s first listen to Northern State. These female rappers straight outta Dix Hills bare fangs like “I wish you well, what the fuck?!/I heard your mom drives an ice cream truck,” and try to seduce through lines like “I’ll organize your underpants/I’ll color-code it/I’ll make you a vegan pie and then I’ll à la mode it!” But that is NS’s charm–they are what they damn well please and have no pretensions to earn “street cred.” Many lyrics induce cringes, but the music’s robotic guitar riffs and Luscious Jackson-style roller-rink funk earn them some forgiveness.
- NewsCheck Out a Playlist of the Top 100 Paradise Garage Tracks
- GearWatch Addison Groove Give an Extensive Tour of His Studio
- NewsCheck Out an 18-Mintue Remix from Ricardo Villalobos and Max Loderbauer
- NewsTOBACCO Shares New "Extremely NSFW" Video
- NewsStream a New Modeselektor Track from the Forthcoming 'Bleep:10' Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player