Northern State Can I Keep This Pen?
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Ipecac
Stereotypes quickly make the imagination dance on most people’s first listen to Northern State. These female rappers straight outta Dix Hills bare fangs like “I wish you well, what the fuck?!/I heard your mom drives an ice cream truck,” and try to seduce through lines like “I’ll organize your underpants/I’ll color-code it/I’ll make you a vegan pie and then I’ll à la mode it!” But that is NS’s charm–they are what they damn well please and have no pretensions to earn “street cred.” Many lyrics induce cringes, but the music’s robotic guitar riffs and Luscious Jackson-style roller-rink funk earn them some forgiveness.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player