Northern State Can I Keep This Pen?
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Ipecac
Stereotypes quickly make the imagination dance on most people’s first listen to Northern State. These female rappers straight outta Dix Hills bare fangs like “I wish you well, what the fuck?!/I heard your mom drives an ice cream truck,” and try to seduce through lines like “I’ll organize your underpants/I’ll color-code it/I’ll make you a vegan pie and then I’ll à la mode it!” But that is NS’s charm–they are what they damn well please and have no pretensions to earn “street cred.” Many lyrics induce cringes, but the music’s robotic guitar riffs and Luscious Jackson-style roller-rink funk earn them some forgiveness.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
XLR8R Downloads Player