Nouvelle Vague Nouvelle Vague
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: Luaka Bop
Who knew bossanova covers of post-punk and New Wave songs sung by teenaged French pop singers would make so much sense? French pop veterans Marc Colins and Oliver Libaus' acoustic arrangements are at times a snooze, but the lyrics to classics like Joy Division's "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and even The Clash's "Guns of Brixton" attain a new level of clarity and poignancy in their new milieu, sung by vocalists younger than the songs themselves who, in some cases, had never even heard the originals before. Adding to the novel feel are some curious selections (particularly Dead Kennedys' "Too Drunk to Fuck" and Josef K's "Sorry for Laughing") but overall the feel is so smooth it almost makes for easy listening, if you know what I mean.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player