Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan The Ultimate Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan Vol I & II
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Narada
Despite a slew of obscure recordings continually arising from the late Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Pakistan‘s greatest ever qawwali singer, this four-disc retrospective is truly special. Khan rose to fame after decades perfecting Sufi devotional music and eventually worked alongside Canadian producer Michael Brook, Eddie Vedder, and Peter Gabriel before passing in ‘97. These two-disc sets cover 1978-84 and show the Sufi devotional singer in prime shape, his stealth Urdu poetics backed gorgeously by tablas, harmonium, and handclaps. Included in this bunch is "Yeh Jo Halka Halka," later covered by Jeff Buckley on his expanded Live at Siné set. Averaging 14-28 minutes apiece, each song is a journey unto itself.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player