O'Neal McKnight The Pre-Prom Mixtape
- Words: Chris Sabbath
- Label: Universal Motown
- XLR8R Rating: 9/10
While it’s unclear whether L.A. stylist-turned-rapper O’Neal McKnight ever made it to his high school prom, he’s making up for any missed opportunities with an album that altogether embraces the concept. Hosted and MCed by McKnight himself with DJ Cassidy and Dub-L in tow, the album rewinds to the mid-'80s when cornball guitar solos and gated reverb hashed perfectly with New Romanticisms and AutoTuned vocals. Songs like “I Hate Love” and “This is the Prom” spit out a Teardrop Explodes-meets-Nu Shooz vibe—which, by the way, is completely fucking awesome—while “Rush Rush” and “Take Control” give the late '80s freestyle movement a proper update with its pitch-shifting Casios straight outta the dimestore bin.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
XLR8R Downloads Player