The Octopus Project Hello, Avalanche
- Words: Tomas Palermo
- Label: Peek-a-Boo
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Who knew post-rock indie pop would become such a crowded field? Austin trio Octopus Project has to work hard to put their own stamp on the subgenre, and they succeed convincingly on their third album, Hello, Avalanche, by adding dense, noisy guitar melodies and sweetly layered electronics. “Bees Been Struggling” is the album’s standout, a handclap-led instrumental that builds up with colorful piano chords, and down with buzzing guitars like a rafter dodging boulders through rapids. OP is at its best when the synths and drum machines are subtle buttresses around their superb acoustic strings, glockenspiels, and brass, as on the energetic “Ghost Moves.” The songs are better than ever, and it’s exciting to hear the band hitting its stride.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsListen to Another Track from Flying Lotus' 'You're Dead!' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player