The Octopus Project Hello, Avalanche
- Words: Tomas Palermo
- Label: Peek-a-Boo
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Who knew post-rock indie pop would become such a crowded field? Austin trio Octopus Project has to work hard to put their own stamp on the subgenre, and they succeed convincingly on their third album, Hello, Avalanche, by adding dense, noisy guitar melodies and sweetly layered electronics. “Bees Been Struggling” is the album’s standout, a handclap-led instrumental that builds up with colorful piano chords, and down with buzzing guitars like a rafter dodging boulders through rapids. OP is at its best when the synths and drum machines are subtle buttresses around their superb acoustic strings, glockenspiels, and brass, as on the energetic “Ghost Moves.” The songs are better than ever, and it’s exciting to hear the band hitting its stride.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
XLR8R Downloads Player