Oh No On My Way
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Label: Stones Throw
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Apparently re-imagining runs in the family. On the heels of his older brother Madlib’s recent reworking of the classic Madvillainy album, Oh No has gone and put a new spin on his debut album, The Disrupt. On My Way finds the Oxnard rapper laying his original rhymes over new beats assembled entirely from samples dug out of the Now-Again Records catalog. Mining classic funk and soul cuts, Oh No's beatmaking prowess has come a long way since 2004, and his raps sound surprisingly fresh over the same kinds of cut-and-paste beats that made his brother famous. This may only be a must-listen for hardcore fans and beat junkies, but Oh No is on the way up.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player